Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Society proposes that council building be turned into Jawi-Peranakan Museum


GEORGE TOWN: The state government will ask the Penang Municipal Council (MPPP) to review its decision to sell a Jawi-Peranakan heritage house in Hutton Lane.
State Local Government and Traffic Management Committee chairman Chow Kon Yeow said a request would be forwarded to the council to review the sale of the house.
The home belongs to the council, but there are legal implications and an appeal surrounding the sale of the pre-war unit here, Chow said.
He said this after chairing a closed-door meeting with several non- governmental organisations who called for a review of the sale.
Penang Jawi-Peranakan Heritage Society president Datuk Dr Wazir Jahan Karim said she was hopeful that the sale would eventually be rescinded.
“We are hoping that the property can be surrendered to the George Town World Heritage Incorporation. We will work together with them to convert the house into a Jawi-Peranakan Museum,” she said.
She said the proposed museum would be the first of its kind in the country.
“Students and visitors can view documented Jawi-Peranakan history comprising the merchants, leaders and philanthropists who helped build our heritage city.”
The house is for the public to appreciate the rich heritage of the Jawi-Peranakan, she said.
The Jawi-Peranakan community is part of a Malay-speaking Muslims of mixed Malay, Indian, Pakistani and Afghan ancestries.
The community was based mostly in Singapore and Penang during the colonial period.
According to Wazir, the building used to be the home of a patriarch and matriarch of a prominent Jawi-Peranakan family here.
It was subsequently left abandoned by the family before it was sealed off by the council as its structure was deemed to be unsafe for occupation. - The Star

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey you have done a great job. Keep on working and share more information with us.
best web design company pakistan
web development services pakistan
web design company pakistan
best web solution company

Penang Property said...

Tq

INVEST WITH $200 AND GET A RETURNS OF $2,000 WITHIN SEVEN DAYS said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you

INVEST WITH $200 AND GET A RETURNS OF $2,000 WITHIN SEVEN DAYS said...

Are You Looking for a loan urgently? Would you like to settle your bills and Purchase property (Investment loan)/ Building loan? I can guarantee you 24 hours loan approval We are a world class Investment company offering all kinds of financial services with flexible repayment terms and a timely closing schedule.Email- (urgentloan22@gmail.com)
Thank you.

Mrs CYNTHIA CORVIN said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you