Saturday, April 14, 2012

Queen of crafts


QUITE a number of guesthouses and cafes have mushroomed in the heritage enclave of Penang, but only a handful preserve the original features of the pre-war houses.
The interior should not be altered where preservation is concerned, but restoration is often required especially when the buildings, more than 200 years old, are falling apart.
Over at Queen Street in George Town, an unassuming sign of “Chai Diam Ma” is displayed outside a pre-war building that houses a cafe and a shop for handmade crafts.
From passion: Lee started the business with less than RM5,000 in capital.
The building is well preserved although it is almost 200 years old, thanks to Queen Lee.
Lee, 35, was a kindergarten teacher and part-time tuition teacher before venturing into this business. She initially carried on with the stable work of teaching but the thought of having her own business never left her mind.
“The time spent with the kids was simple and joyful, but I felt I was only doing it for the bosses, regardless of how good and hardworking I was.
“I didn’t want to continue doing that, so I left the kindergarten and spent a year concentrating on making crafts. I met a few fellow hobbyists from Kuala Lumpur and sold my products in Kuala Lumpur occassionally,” she said.
Rustic pieces: Almost every piece of furniture at Chai Diam Ma was salvaged from the streets, or given to Lee by her friends.
In Malaysia, the market for handmade crafts is limited mainly because there is a lack of supporters of arts and crafts.
People also generally think that handmade items are more expensive, so artists can hardly make a living from it.
But Lee did not give up. She believed that she would eventually carve a path for herself if she knew how to respond to the circumstances.
She constantly thought of a way to strike a balance between earning a living and pursuing her interests.
Just as she was seeking an answer, she came across a “For Rent” sign on a intermediate-lot pre-war house on Queen Street.
It was love at first sight. She immediately called the real estate agent and made an appointment to visit the house the very next day.
“I was thrilled when the agent said the rent was around RM1,000, because I could afford it with my savings.
“The deposit, rent, and the costs for a customised bar and some basic kitchen utensils came up to less than RM5,000,” she revealed.
Because she did not have much money left, “renovations” were not included in her checklist. Almost every piece of furniture in the building was salvaged from the streets, or given by her friends.
“I used some of them as dining tables for the guests, while the rest as racks to display the handmade crafts.
“My first fridge was actually given by a friend, and I just replaced it with a new unit recently,” she said.
It has been a year since she opened the cafe, but she still operated the business in a prudent manner.
When the cafe is closed for four hours in the afternoon, she gives tuition to primary school pupils to generate more income to make her other dreams come true. Travelling is one of them.
There are probably very few people who still keep a part-time job after opening their own business, but she is not complaining. In fact, she finds her busy life fulfilling. Lee told Red Tomato that she spends weekday afternoons rushing from one student’s house to another.
“I will not be an employee of others anymore. Although my current life is tiring and busy, I am doing all this for myself.
“I have always wanted to have my own business. Coming from a fine arts background, I have a deep affection for pre-war house. All my dreams are coming true one by one.”
However, her biggest worry now is rent, which has skyrocketed over the past 12 months.
People in the northern states often refer to grocery store as chai diam ma.
As the name suggests, Lee’s cafe offers assorted creative and interesting handmade crafts such as dolls, accessories and T-shirts, in addition to coffee and simple meals.
Lee revealed that most of the handmade items were crafted by fellow hobbyists because she is too occupied with the business.
“It’s very difficult to make a living out of selling handicrafts. I do a small part to help them by offering a small space to sell their products. I don’t charge rent, but get a commission when the items are sold,” she said.
Lee said most people patronise Chai Diam Ma to have a peek of the centuries-old pre-war house. Coffee only comes second, nevermind the handmade craft items.
Therefore, it is her earnest wish that people pay as much attention to the crafts at Chai Diam Ma as much as they treasure the pre-war architecture. There are a lot of local talented artists but very few people appreciate their work.
“Handmade crafts are different from handicrafts. Not only are the quantities limited, they are lively and unique. It takes the artists long hours and a lot of efforts to make them, while handicrafts can be mass produced.
“Compared to Kuala Lumpur, the market for these crafts in Penang is still small. I hope my small shop can contribute a small effort to help the artists,” she said.
Chai Diam Ma is located at 15, Queen Street, Georgetown, Penang.
*This feature is translated from an article in Red Tomato. Get your copy of Red Tomato, the country’s first free Chinese weekly, every Friday at most RapidKL LRT and Monorail stations, as well as selected convenience stores and shopping centres nationwide.

2 comments:

KhearP said...

I just take a peek and I discovered your blog. I like that guitar and I like also your work. Hope to visit Penang soon. Thanks.

Khear | Philippines properties

Penang Property said...

Thanks. Welcome to Penang. You shall enjoy here.